Thursday, December 10, 2009

A little homesick

I remember the feeling of anxiety and excitement I had when it was time for that final year of Marching Band, that final Spat Camp. That year was the hardest for me to go back to Minneapolis. Having spent a semester in Ireland and an AMAZING summer in Eau Claire, coming back to Minneapolis was not as exciting as it usually is. I mean, I was super excited for band, to play, to march, to party, but part of me was very anxious to come back to my friends who I had barely seen since I left for Ireland. 9 months (almost) was a long time to be apart and I was genuinely very worried about fitting back into the swing of things. I remember calling Emily during Spat Camp and being close to tears because I was so homesick. I was not that homesick when I was a freshman at UMD or any other years in Minneapolis because there was always band. But that wasn't enough at the beginning of that Spat Camp. My friends had their own inside jokes, experiences, stories,and boys to talk about; I felt out of the loop.

I feel a similar sort of anxiety about going home to EC. Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited to go home (seriously I'm telling anyone and everyone who will listen to me how excited I am) and see my family and my friends but part of me is really worried. Rachel and Emma have gotten really close since they're both in EC and they have their own group of friends, have a book club, and do their own thing. Alice and Nicole still come home often enough and Siri rarely has come home in the past so maybe it's not so different that she's in NYC. I know that it's irrational, but they've had and done fun, cool stuff that I've missed out on. I hope that everything is okay and that we'll be able to pick up right where we left off. I hope that because we've been friends for such a long time that it's not going to matter and deep down, I know that everything is going to be fine and we'll have an amazing time! I can't help but worry a little bit and feel a little awkward. Ah well, there's nothing I can do except have a great attitude. I can't wait to see Emily either! We have never had a problem picking up where we left off so I have no doubt that the same pattern will hold true over Christmas break:)

Jessi and I are cleaning/baking/preparing food tomorrow when she's done with work in anticipation for the party on Saturday. Next week I work a TON of hours so it's going to be nice to take it easy tomorrow and be busy on Saturday. It's almost 2am so I must get to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment