Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The King's Speech

Last night, Matthew and I went and saw The King's Speech. It was excellent! The music, cinematography and great acting made for an Oscar-worthy film. While we were watching the movie, I realized how little I know about England's history between the 1930s and 1950s. Everyone knows about Winston Churchill but what about the Prime Minister before him and who led the country as King during WWII. Colin Firth plays King George VI, who suffers from stammering. After exhausting all the doctors in the area, his wife Elizabeth I (played by Helena Bonham Carter, love her too) finds Lionel Logue who helps Bertie (he uses George VI when he becomes king) become a better public speaker. The plot moves along at a good pace and there's clever writing and witty humor. Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth did a wonderful job together! I loved the movie!! I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment: