Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Atonement

I finished reading Atonement on Monday. I really enjoyed the book. Granted, parts of it were really slow and I put the book aside for a while, but I finished and overall, enjoyed it. Briony's character is horrible and fascinating at the same time. She is so self-involved and loves writing plays/stories but when the story returns to her five years later, she is much changed. Reading her account of taking care of wounded men in the hospital was moving and exciting and made me hopeful for Briony's character. Robbie and Cecilia's love for one another is heartbreakingly beautiful. How terrible would it be to have barely seen each other before Robbie had to go off to war and all they had to build their relationship on was letters and Cecilia's constant reminder "I'll wait. Come back to me" I'd give the book 3.5 out of 5 stars. Stick with it to the end and it's a pretty good read:)

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the movie Anna? I was a fan of the book but to me the movie was 100x better.

    Which doesn't happen often ;)
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see the movie but don't remember much about it except that James Mcevoy (yum) and Keira Knightley are in it:). I just checked it out from the library today

    ReplyDelete