Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A great loss

My best friend Emma's mom passed away on the morning of Saturday September 8th. This past weekend I went home for the visitation and memorial service. I've know Dianne for as long as I can remember; she's my second mom. At the memorial service people were invited to get up and share memories of Dianne. Hearing people's stories and memories made me realize how little I actually knew about Dianne. Her work life, her life in Ohio remain a mystery to me. One thing I did notice was all of the people present had been touched by this wonderful woman. She was always caring, always supportive, always believed in people no matter what the situation, and was passionate about everything she did (even having cancer)!

I wanted to get up and speak at the memorial service but I didn't know where to start. I've known Dianne for 25 years and shared numerous holidays, birthdays and other important events with Emma, Sally, Bruce and Dianne. I just didn't know where to begin. We lived far away from our extended family and so we always celebrated holidays together. Usually Thanksgiving and Easter. It was wonderful to have a slice of family in Eau Claire since most of my extended family lives in Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. I don't always remember specifics about those holidays but I do remember they were always full of music, delicious homemade food and  laughter.

Dianne's life may be over, but her memory will last forever. I'm proud to know her and have been part of her and her family's life for all of these years! Rest easy, Dianne. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment