Monday, February 14, 2011

An eventful Friday

On Friday, I subbed for a high school English teacher. I'm always excited to teach in my subject field, since I usually have some sort of knowledge of what's going on. This day turned out to be very eventful! There was a fire drill at the end of 1st period. While we waited (briefly, thank goodness) outside the school, I took a look around me. Since when did it become acceptable for a high school girl to wear a low cut, short sleeved, white t-shirt and super skin tight jeggings (you could see everything) with Uggs? Have I mentioned that it's February!? It's not warm outside, it's cold...I did a coverage for a Phy Ed class which I normally stay away from. Thankfully all the other teachers who were in the gym at the same time were very good natured and helpful! I got to help the kids play volleyball, which was really fun! I also didn't know that volleyball has a rally point method of scoring, just like ping pong. Learn something new every day, I guess.

In 3rd period, the 10th grade English class had an extremely heated and tense debate about same sex marriage. Regardless what side you're in favor of, it gave me some hope to see the student so impassioned about one single subject, especially in a class debate. That said, I do seriously wonder where kids get their information and statistics. Some of the comments students were making were unfounded and false (you can always find an article online that will agree with your sentiments, no matter what they are). Regardless, it was nice to see kids engaged in a lesson and not being apathetic about everything. 4th period was a class full of apathetic seniors. Apathy drives me more crazy that stupidity. Apathy,to me, implies laziness which is one of the worst traits a student can have at school.

Overall, subbing is going very well, though I truly long for a classroom of my own (no matter how scary that prospect is).

No comments:

Post a Comment