Sunday, October 24, 2010

David Sedaris

Now, I'm a big fan of David Sedaris and when I saw this spring that his tour was bringing him to Pittsburgh, I absolutely had to go. Matthew and I got tickets and it was well worth it! Sedaris read from his new book Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: a Modest Bestiary, some essays, some diary entries and even took time for a question and answer session. I liked that he took the time to take questions from the audience. Someone asked about his sister Lisa's parrot, which cracked up the entire audience. His writing just has a way of capturing your attention, even if you aren't actively listening . I remember listening to Sedaris read his essays on NPR's "This American Life" and inadvertently being sucked into the stories about his Southern upbringing and seemingly crazy family.

He also plugged another writer's book which I thought was fantastic! The author: Wells Tower; the books: Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned. Sedaris also read a few selections from the book which peaked my interest and desire to read it. It's about Vikings told in modern language.

I'm #20 on the list of people who requested it at the public library so I doubt that I'll be getting it before the holidays.

For a man whose book tour consists of him reading out loud to full audiences, I don't think my face has ever hurt so much from smiling and laughing!

Reading outloud:)

No comments:

Post a Comment