Tuesday, February 10, 2009

For February 12

Dornan’s text seems to me, a listing of what exactly should be taught in the context of student writing. I enjoy that the writers of the text realize that “grammar, usage and mechanics should not be codified into a pre-determined sequence of skills to master at teach grade level” (Dornan 92) but it seemed like the writers fell short of providing some actual strategies of how to incorporate the intended conventions into teaching writing. For each set of concepts/terms, Dornan et al addresses the what, why and objectives but doesn’t provide concrete descriptions how to actually do it! The writers list concepts that should be addressed at the very least, which are helpful for making a general outline but not help with the execution. If I’m going to spend time reading a text book chapter about teaching grammar, something that is loathed by so many educators, it would be the most beneficial to have some practical usage portions to enhance the incorporation of grammar, usage and mechanics into the classroom.

Now I’m biased because I think Mechanically Inclined, by Jeff Anderson, is an excellent text with practical, useful examples of how to incorporate teaching grammar, mechanics and usage into the writer’s workshop model. Anderson admits in the beginning of his work that he didn’t like grammar and wasn’t very good at it, but knew he had to write the book because of his intentions for “students and teachers to view grammar and mechanics as a creational facility rather than a correctional one. The teaching of conventions is about what punctuation can do to enhance the writer’s message”(Anderson 14). The book is very accessible and I feel chock full of useful, relevant information such as, “we will save ourselves a lot of frustration if we shift our notion of teaching punctuation and grammar to one of teaching principles instead of rules” (Anderson 4). Rules are to be learned by rote and repetition and I feel that principles are learned by practicing them in context.

However both Dornan et al and Anderson realize that teaching grammar, usage and mechanics is the most useful when “students’ developmental needs as writers” (Dornan 92) are being met. Anderson suggests that “...we need to analyze students’ writing, looking for patterns of error, but beyond that what matters most...Match it up with what’s tested on editing and grammar examinations. Match it up with your state standards” (Anderson 7). I feel that teaching what is the most relevant to my students is what will make the lessons actually stick and make the most lasting impact. If the lesson isn’t something that is directly applicable to them, then what’s the point? All our classes keep reiterating that we need to make our lessons relevant to life outside of school and I think proper grammar, usage and mechanics are such a thing. A student needs to make sure that their point is clear on a job application, a scholarship application, a college essay, an email sent to an adult or professional and of course for school work.

Oh grammar, how I love thee; it’s so math-y and formulaic and I think that’s what draws me in. There’s almost always a right answer and the possibility for change requires only the smallest misplacement of a pronoun. Finding the errors and dissecting sentences is something that I love doing. Although, I know that that the approach of going crazy finding all the mechanical errors in a student’s paper is pretty ridiculous and doesn’t necessarily accomplish anything (except generate a false positive or over generalization about a usage rule)

Fulwiler’s article was really interesting and made me regret my papers, hastily written in the 24 hours before the due date, with editing and revision (if any) done in the wee hours of the morning. There’s something so satisfying about revision and making a story even better; I enjoyed Fulwiler’s different approaches and liked how he lazered in on specific things to help the students’ writing get better. I know in middle school when I finished my first typed draft, I took it home and essentially rewrote the entire thing, maintaining main characters and a basic plot structure. I remember coming to class and conferencing with the teacher and her being shocked with all of the revision I had done. As a result of my mom’s persistence in “show don’t tell” and making sure my tenses were correct, I enjoy helping people revise their work and aiding in the improvement of their draft. I remember Mom asking questions that my 13 year old self thought impossible to answer, but as I grew older, I asked those questions to the writer whose paper I was looking over.

As a joke, I'll post the link Patrick sent out this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6QqCH7g0Q&feature=PlayList&p=7A8DEFACBFDCE336&playnext=1&index=16

Writer's Toolbox: http://www.writers-toolbox.com/default.asp
This website is, granted trying to sell you something, but none the less interesting. The software being advertised looks really intersting and seems like a great way for writers to organize their thoughts and ideas; this website also has prompts/questions to better define and break down the parts of a scene, story and characters.

2 comments:

  1. Anna,

    I knew grammar week was the week to read your blog! I love your enthusiasm for the part of English that has "right answers" because a lot of my math-y, science-y friends yearned for more certainty in English class. And I'm sure a lot of non-native English speakers look for those same concrete rules to help them navigate the language.

    I appreciate your "What's the point?" approach to grammar instruction, too. I'm going out to buy Mechanically Inclined tomorrow (you sold me on it!) because I feel if grammar instruction isn't rooted in student writing (which IS the real-life application) then it's not worth wasting time on it. I'd like as little linguistic meta-language as possible, thank you.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you just love the video... I cracked up! - PCM

    ReplyDelete